Parrot Parrot

Veterinary References on Teflon Toxicity

VETERINARY REFERENCES  CONFIRM THE DANGERS OF OVERHEATED TEFLON

Blandford TB, Seamon PJ, Hughes R, Pattison M, Wilderspin MP. “A case of polytetrafluoroethylene poisoning in cockatiels accompanied by polymer fume fever in the owner.” Veterinary Record, 1975, V.96, No. 8, p.175-176.

Duff P. “Acute inhalant toxicosis of cagebirds.” Veterinary Record, 1997, V. 141, No. 4, p. 107.

Ehrsam H. [“Fatal poisoning of small pet birds following accidental overheating of cooking pans lined with polytetrafluorethylene.”] Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd (Switzerland), 1969, V. 111, No. 4, p. 181-186.

Forbes NA, Jones D. “PTFE toxicity in birds.” Veterinary Record, 1997, V. 140, N. 19, p. 512.

Holt PE. “PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) toxicity in birds.” Veterinary Record, 1997, V. 141, No. 7, p. 180.

Lumeij JT. [“Risk for pet birds following exposure to burn products of pans coated with PTEF and butter.”] Tijdschr Diergeneeskd (Netherlands), 1997, Vol. 122, No. 24, p. 720.

Stoltz JH, Galey F, Johnson B. “Sudden death in ten psittacine birds associated with the operation of a self-cleaning oven.” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 1992, Vol. 34, No. 5, p. 420-421.

Temple WA, Edwards IR, Bell SJ. “Poly (polymer) fume fever – two fatal cases (cage birds).” New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 1985, Vol. 33, No.¬† 3, p. 30.

Temple WA, Edwards IR, Bell SJ. “Poly fume fever – two fatal cases (poisoning of Psittaciformes by fumes from heated teflon saucepans).” Australian Veterinary Practitioner, 1985, Vol. 15, No. 2, p. 66.

Wells RE. “Fatal toxicosis in pet birds caused by an overheated cooking pan lined with polytetrafluoroethylene.” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 1983, Vol. 182, No. 11, p. 1248-1250.

Wells RE, Slocombe RF, Trapp AL. “Acute toxicosis of budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus) caused by pyrolysis products from heated polytetrafluoroethylene: clinical study.” American Journal of Veterinary Research, 1982, Vol. 43, No. 7, p. 1238-1242.

Wells RE, Slocombe RF. “Acute toxicosis of budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus) caused by pyrolysis products from heated polytetrafluoroethylene: microscopic study.” American Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Vol. 43, No. 7, p. 1243-1248.

0saves
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Parrot Gallery

phillipinehangingparrot Barraband Gouldian Finches Hahn's Macaw pviolet swainsonslorikeet1 Nanday Conure Greenwing Macaw Baby