Teflon Death Reported April 2000
“My 8 year old Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo died due to Teflon Poisoning. I went to boil some eggs in the kitchen. Coco was in the dining room and I was in the family room. All the rooms are open to each other. From the couch, I could see the stove and Coco’s cage. I fell asleep. Next thing I know, Coco is screaming. I run to the cage where she collapsed in my arms. The pan had been on the stove, the water boiled off. I knew the fumes had gotten to her. She died within minutes as I held her not being able to do anything to help. I knew the fumes were toxic to birds but I had no idea how lethal. I will miss her so much. I will be getting another bird in 5 months and anything Teflon coated or has a nonstick coating is out the door as is many other products that I had used in the past that potentially could have killed her just as easily. Thank you so much for your site. I just found it (a little late for Coco) and I will come back often. Don’t let it happen to you. Take all precautions. They are so fragile and depend on us for everything. Any questions, you can email me.”
ParrotParrot note: I want to thank Kim for sending me this story. It is so heartbreaking and many owners would be afraid to share it. It shows that she really cares and wants to prevent this tragedy from ever happening to another bird. In my experience this is the typical scenario when birds succumb to nonstick cookware fumes. It is generally not that people don’t know that nonstick cookware is dangerous then lose their birds unexpectedly. Someone has convinced them that as long as they are “careful” and don’t overheat the cookware, it will be fine. However, we are only human and we make mistakes. Therefore, I am of the opinion that this cookware does not belong in homes that keep birds. If you don’t think you will ever forget a pan on the stove, read this page again, and read the story of Kola Bird.